Maryland State Education Association (MSEA) is the Maryland affiliate of the National Education Association (NEA). MSEA is a union and professional association headquartered in Annapolis, Maryland representing 75,000 educators and school employees working in Maryland’s public schools. MSEA is dedicated to improving the teaching and learning experience; negotiating professional compensation and advocating for increased education funding and working conditions for public school employees; promoting academic achievement for all students; and protecting labor, civil and human rights for all.
JOB SUMMARY: The Accountant–Payroll, Tax and Compliance position is responsible for processing payroll, researching, and resolving payroll and regulatory issues, and general ledger accounting. The position reviews and generates financial documents and reports that support monthly close, annual audits, regulatory filings, budgeting, and other activities requiring economic data.
• Prepare and process association payroll including related reports and remittance of withholdings.
• Prepare general ledger account reconciliations.
• Review general ledger activity and prepare journal entries as necessary.
• Prepare, review and/or submit appropriate regulatory reports and/or filings.
• Perform accounts payable vendor maintenance and IRS verification.
• Process and/or review and approve financial transactions as assigned.
• Provide financial training and assistance to affiliate entities.
• Prepare political action committee reports, data submissions and filings.
• Prepare schedules and documents related to annual audits and/or tax filings.
• Prepare benefit related census data compliance schedules and reports.
• Research and resolve payroll and regulatory issues with appropriate vendors and/or agencies.
• Prepare calculations related to payroll and contract compliance, including group term life and health savings accounts.
• Generate financial reports as requested.
• Document procedures for assigned responsibilities, updating as necessary.
• Recommend improvements to increase efficiencies, accuracies, and controls.
• Prepare supporting schedules for the strategic planning and budgeting process.
• Prepare economic data to assist in contract negotiations.
• Maintain documents in compliance with the association’s document retention policy.
• Work extended hours including weekends and evenings, when necessary, in order to perform assigned responsibilities.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
• Minimum of three years of relevant experience.
• Payroll processing required, preferably with ADP.
• Advanced skill level in Microsoft Excel required.
• Proficiency in PeopleSoft and QuickBooks preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook and Word preferred.
• CPA preferred or desire to earn CPA.
• Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Knowledge of ADP payroll software and related best practices including federal and state law preferred.
• Knowledge of federal and state regulatory filings such as forms 5500, 990, 500, W-2s and 1099s preferred.
• Attention to detail and a passion for accuracy while maintaining a discipline for deadlines.
• Ability to exercise independent judgment and resourcefulness in interpreting and adapting guidelines such as MSEA policies, actions, precedents, and directives for application to tasks or complex problems.
• Exemplary organization of records and documentation necessary to support external audits and regulatory filings.
• Ability to work with confidential data while maintaining confidentiality.
• Ability to interact effectively with individuals and groups both inside and outside the association in unstructured situations.
• Self-motivated, organized, and excellent time management skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communications.
• Has a valid US driver’s license that complies with the state of Maryland.
Date of Employment: As soon as possible
Submission deadline: Open until filled
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and employment application to the email address above. Applications can be downloaded from the MSEA website at marylandeducators.org. All applications must be typed.
MSEA is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
MSEA is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at MSEA are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or disability.