Cryptocurrency and the IRS – The presentation will focus on what is cryptocurrency, how it is taxed, recent IRS enforcement and education programs as well as identifying non-tax legal issues.
Capital Gains—Planning, Opportunities and Pitfalls. This presentation will focus on five topics (described below) that taxpayers and their advisors should consider in connection with transactions giving rise to capital gains.
1. 1031 exchanges in a post-TCJA world. This portion of the presentation will focus on the significant changes to 1031 tax-deferred exchanges following the enactment of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and a summary of the basic requirements and common issues encountered by taxpayers looking to complete a 1031 exchange.
2. Section 1202 Stock. Qualified Small Business Stock, in the appropriate circumstance, provides a substantial tax benefit for founders and investors alike. This presentation will focus on the 1202 requirements and highlight some overlooked planning techniques and common missteps.
3. Opportunity Zones. Opportunity Zones were enacted as part of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and offer investors an opportunity to defer current capital gains taxes until 2026 and may also provide an outright exclusion on future appreciation of opportunity zones investments.
4. Ensuring Capital Gains in M&A Earnouts. Often, in a merger or acquisition, a founder or key employee will be required to “roll-over” current equity into the acquiring entity as part of the transaction structure. This portion of the presentation will examine common structures and common pitfalls encountered.
5. Equity Compensation in Partnership Taxed Entities, strategies for maximizing chances of capital gain treatment in connection with a liquidity event.
The attendee will learn what cryptocurrency actually is, the taxes associated, how the IRS is responding and what is not legal.
Attendees will become aware of potential issues with regard to capital gains.
Number of Hours:
Knowledge of Tax Law Regulations
Number Of Days:
Full Buffet Breakfast, Beverages
Early Cut Off Date:
Waters Edge Events Center 4687 Millennium Drive
Belcamp , MD 21017
Holiday Inn Belcamp
1329 Policy Drive
Weekday Rate: $90.99
CPAs, EAs, Maryland Preparers
NASBA, IRS, State of Maryland